Thursday, March 31, 2016

Thursdays in The 757: the Big Blue 5k

I’ll admit that I’m not always the best about exercising. I walk and bike around town more than I drive, but I’m not exactly getting the 30 minutes a day that my doctor recommended. But, I’m totally working on it!

One of my New Year’s Resolutions this year was to get more exercise and, while I’m not knocking it out of the park (yet), I have definitely improved. I’ve started doing yoga and running. Which brings me to today’s Thursdays in the 757 highlight: the Big Blue 5k!

The inaugural Big Blue 5k (in 2014) was actually my and my husband’s first race. We decided to it kind of spontaneously and it turned out to be a total blast. I even got to give my husband a tour of ODU while we ran (the race course winds through campus).

For whatever reason, I didn’t sign up for any more races for a while. But this year, as part of my resolution to exercise more, I decided that I’m going to do more races—starting with the Big Blue 5k next month.

image from BigBlue5k.com
The race benefits the ODU Athletic Department, so if you’re an alumni (like me) or a current student that makes it a fun and easy way to support your school. Plus, race registration gets you all kinds of cool extras. More information and registration are available on the event website: BigBlue5k.com. Hurry up and register soon (if you haven't already) before it sells out!
I’ve already registered and even started doing some race training. I want to do well to show myself what I’m capable of, but also to show people that the stereotype of the sickly vegan is wrong and that you don’t need animal products to be an athlete. It’s definitely some self-inflicted pressure, but I’m committed.

Are you a plant-powered athlete? What are your favorite local races?

See you at the Big Blue!

No comments:

Post a Comment