Monday, July 20, 2015

Meet Me, Part 2: VA Life

Hey, y’all! Welcome back to Vegan in VA for the second installment of my Meet Me Series. In Part 1, I gave you a basic introduction to me and now I’d like to briefly introduce you to my home - Hampton Roads, VA. _________________ I’d like to begin by clarifying something for those of you who aren’t familiar with my little corner of VA. The area where I live is referred to by several names: Southeastern Virginia, Tidewater, Hampton Roads, the 757, and, most recently, Coastal Virginia. It’s kind of a running joke that our area has a bit of an identity crisis and I honestly pity any non-locals who try to keep it all straight. I’ll probably use all of those names at some point so just know that, whatever I call it, I’m talking about the same area, which includes Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Chesapeake, Newport News, Hampton, Suffolk, and Isle of Wight County.
Melody loves technology,
even if she's not always
the most helpful officemate
But anyway, let’s get back onto the topic at hand, shall we? I share an apartment with my husband and our grumpy (and slightly neurotic) old cat named Melody. We live in one of Norfolk’s many beautiful, historic neighborhoods, in delightful proximity to a ton of shops, restaurants, and places for entertainment. Best of all, we are in the best part of Hampton Roads (aka HRVA) that a vegan could be. We’re lucky enough to have a wide range of restaurants, grocery stores, and farmers markets that offer all kinds of veg-friendly fare. Living here makes a vegan lifestyle so easy! It’s really fantastic and we are grateful every single day to live in a place that is so understanding and accepting of our lifestyle.

that time a giant rubber
duck appeared in the
Hague in front of the
Chrysler Museum
As much as I love food (and I love food A LOT!) there are so many other reasons why living in HRVA gets me stoked. Living here means I’m just a short drive from the Atlantic Ocean. The beach is one of my favorite places to be, so this is a Big Deal for me. There are also various museums (many of which don’t exploit animals for entertainment, thankfully) that cover science (the Air and Space Museum), local history (the Casemate Museum at Fort Monroe), art (the Chrysler Museum), and much more. Plus, there’s an abundance of outdoor activities available like kayaking, hiking, surfing, and biking - which is my personal favorite! In addition to all that awesomeness, HRVA is also a great place to be a geek (and I’m a big one). We have locally-owned video game and comic book stores, the Tidewater Comicon, and an annual lightsaber battle every May. I’m a history nerd, too, and since VA is literally where America began there is no end of cool historic things to do - including visiting the Historic Triangle (i.e. Williamsburg, Jamestown, and Yorktown).
live music at Harborfest, an
annual event on the
Elizabeth River
What I love most though is that, even though I’ve lived my whole life here in Hampton Roads, I’m still discovering new and exciting things to do and see and places to go. Plus, with our wonky but awesome weather, you can do just about anything at just about any time of the year. Some people might find it lame that I’ve lived in the same place my whole life, but I tell you what: I love it here! HRVA has been a wonderful place to grow up and start my family. I can’t even imagine any place else being able to offer all that HRVA can. But what about you: What do you love about your hometown? Tell me in the comments! Click here to read the previous post in this series < Meet Me Part 1: Welcome to Vegan in VA

No comments:

Post a Comment